Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bonus Post!

Unofficial Poll time!

What are the top 3 things you consider when you are deciding who to vote for?

You can comment on this post or send them to anne.troia.schmidt@gmail.com.

Thanks!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Just off the top of my head, not pondered out, the three I consider are:

1. What is the candidate's stance on abortion and how will it impact the decisions he or she makes

2. Is the candidate pro big-government or pro American citizen

3. Does the candidate's voting record (or other available objective information) match the rhetoric coming from his or her mouth? Is the candidate a person of integrity?

Alex Woods said...

I'm tempted to say "Godliness" but then I wouldn't need three. So, the three most important qualities to me are:

-HONESTY... I can handle the idea that a politician disagrees with me or makes mistakes, but if he's corrupt, I don't want him in office. Honesty also goes for whether what he says matches what he does. It's a pretty good umbrella term.

-RESPONSIBILITY... particularly when it comes to spending, but really in everything, he should weigh the options carefully and select the one that is the best... if there is no best, he should err on the side of small government... he should work to have a balanced budget... he should be accountable to his voters, to his conscience, and ideally to the LORD

MEEK... he should be down-to-earth enough to talk to his voters... not talking down to them but up to them, as their servant... he should be a lover of peace and gentleness... he should not vote for or hope for things that elevate Congress above the rest of the public...

Unknown said...

Firstly, how it is actually impossible to consistently and thoroughly apply a biblical political theory when this nation's founding documents are based largely on a Lockean empirical philosophy. Secondly, that as a Christian I will never be satisfied with any earthly government. Thirdly, that every option currently infront of me is nowhere near me pragmatically and certainly not in political theory. That last one might be a bit too specific to this particular time around. Yeah, I know, I sound rather jaded.